This year we are celebrating the 7th annual Hemp History Week June 6th-12th. Hemp is a controversial crop, so below we have outlined 10 facts about hemp that you should get to know!
- Farming hemp in the USA is only permitted for pilot programs in 3 states (thanks to the 2014 Federal Farm Bill).
- Raw hemp is imported from Canada, Europe, and China because of laws barracading the USA from selling it.
- Hemp is high and Omega-3’s and Omega-6’s.
- Contains all 9 essential amino acids.
- Rich in fiber.
- Rich in minerals and vitamins.
- Hemp and marijuana are NOT the same thing! They diverged genetically MANY years ago. The THC content in marijuana is far higher than hemp.
- Hemp fibers are longer, stronger, and more mildew resistant than cotton.
- Hemp is an excellent sustainable alternative for construction, paper, clothing because of it is non toxic, pest, fire, and mold resistant, and its durability.
- In Canada, Hemp nets $200-400 per acre, in comparison to USA corn which is about $160. Farming hemp in the USA would open up economic trade and job opportunities for Americans.
In honor of Hemp History Week this June, A Market will be offering a raffle basket for our hemp fans! Between June 6th and June 12th, post a photo of your favorite hemp product on Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook, tag A Market and use the hashtag #AMarketgiveaway. At the end of the week, all entrees will be put into a hat to be drawn for a raffle basket of hemp goodies!
The winner will be chosen and announced via A Market social media platforms on June 15th.